Thursday, March 12, 2009

Time To Plan Retirement

Thinking of retiring? Keep in mind that today's retirees are more active than ever.

Here are five areas you should ponder before you retire:

The first thing to consider when you're thinking retirement is where you would you like to live. Is there somewhere you have always wanted to live? Should you be close to you family? What will the cost of living be in my ideal location? How about the weather? Shall I just stay where I am?

The second thing to ask yourself is: "Do I have enough money to support my retirement?" Have you set aside enough money to allow you to live where and how you want to. There is no correct answer to this question. It depends on the goals you have marked out for yourself and your family.

The third item is the idea of continuing to work after your retirement. For example I have never wanted not to continue to work. I enjoy what I do. I have friends, however, that hate their jobs and can't wait to tell the boss to shove it!

The fourth consideration is your health. As you get older this area of your life begins to occupy much of your time and money. You should discuss this area with your doctor and always be honest with yourself regarding how you feel and how your health is doing.

Finally, an important question to consider is whether or not you are really ready to retire. Only you can answer this question. I've known many men and women who have retired and gone fishing or became volunteers. After a couple of months of fishing and watching TV they were back in the work force.

No comments: